Published on May 13, 2017


The Eastern Football League has made it two from two on Saturday in the 2017 WorkSafe AFL Victoria Community Championships, defeating Essendon District Football League in the under-19s and seniors.  




Eastern Football League                6.5-41      10.9-69  16.9-105     18.10-118
Essendon District Football League 3.2-20       5.5-35  13.8-86         17.14-116


Goal Kickers: L. Williams 4, J. Best 3, T. Hill 2, C. Annakis 2, J. Vanunen, D. Garner, C. Manuel, D. Poynton, L. Wale-Buxton, R. Jordon, L. McDonald
Best Players: L. Williams, J. Vanunen, D. Poynton, S. Hill, S. Davidson, L. Wale-Buxton

Goal Kickers: P. Rose 5, J. Williams 5, D. Galea 4, B. Mabon, M. Jensen, J. Cauchi
Best Players: D. Thompson, C. Vearing, P. Rose, F. Caruso, W. Martiniello, J. Williams



Eastern Football League 14.10 (94) 

Essendon District Football League 10.6 (66) 


Led by a best on ground performance by Norwood forward Leigh Williams, who booted four goals, the senior EFL side raced out of the blocks in the opening term to lead by 21 points at quarter time.

A dominant second quarter set up the EFL’s thrilling two-point win, leading by 34 points at half-time off the back of exceptional roving work at ground level inside 50 from Vermont’s Jake Best who finished with three majors.

The EDFL hit back in the second half, after Norwood swing-man Matt Aver, whose influence early in the contest was telling on the scoreboard, left the field due to a heavy collision.

Cameron Cloke began to take charge in the ruck, as the EDFL midfielders began to claim first use of the footy out of the centre.

Through the tireless work of forwards Dean Galea, Patrick Rose and Jason Williams, the EDFL mounted a comeback from 40 points behind, cutting the margin to just 19 points at three-quarter time.

A barnstorming start to the final term saw the EDFL continue to press forward, with Patrick Rose leading the charge booting two final quarter goals, including two in two minutes – the latter off the back of a one-handed contested grab, resulting in his fifth for the day.

The clock ticked into time-on as the frenetic ball-movement of both sides made for end-to-end footy at a frantic pace, with Rose again taking possession inside 50 with 15 seconds to play, missing to the left-hand side in a shot to win the match.

EFL assistant coach Steve Cochrane couldn’t have been prouder of his side.

“These boys gave their all today and left nothing in the tank,” Cochrane said.

“They sacrificed their bodies and gave up their time so they could represent all EFL players.

“Tonight all EFL players and associated clubs should be indebted to this group.”

The victory means the EFL will return to the main game in 2018, facing off against AFL Barwon’s GFL for the number-one rank, after its 22-point victory over the MPNFL on Saturday at the MCG.

More to come…



Related Articles


Sponsors & Partners